Sunday, January 28, 2007

Life isn't all ha ha he he....

Ok, so I am a slacker.

But I had such a funny experience today I decided to just write something. When I stop being so cheap and fork out some cash and buy the cord I need for my camera - you will get pic updates of my adventures thus far.

It started out like any other Sunday. However, today I decided that I would be a good girl and attend the Single Adults Sunday School class. For the past couple of weeks I have just attended Gospel Doctrine, but I found out Friday night that I actually have a specific class to go to. My friend WJ had inferred that sitting in the foyer was more stimulating than going to class....He was right.

My teacher was over 60 years old. My class was an eclectic mix of those in their early 30's, 40's, the divorcees, and well those with one foot in the grave. I sound so critical and rude, but as I sat in class today I really felt weird as the cruel realization hit, that I was now in a church programme where the age span was 30 years - 100 years. I mean it. One elderly gentleman in my class has been what I consider an elderly gentleman since I was in primary. Now, in a sick twist of date oops I mean fate, I am in the same boat as he is. Single and well between the age of 30 - 100 years. I just laughed inside. Then I got a little annoyed. Then I felt a little bitter and later remarked to the Bishop - "you know attending a class like that makes you want to go less active". I tried to be upbeat but I ended up being contradictory (I remarked I would feel depressed if I had been blessed to live forever like one of the Apostles because all my friends would die every couple of years - the general consensus was that it would feel great) and then initiated a discussion on why I thought 8 was too young to be baptized. I left the class with a smile on my face though - because I possibly could be asked on a date by someone who is older than my parents. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

As a side note - my records arrived from Taiwan in speedy time. It took less than a week. Jason Chen you must already have had the envelope signed and sealed. So I have a new assignment. I am the early morning seminary teacher. I have a possible attendance of about 25 kids. Although I taught and managed larger classes in Taiwan -I am feeling a little anxious. First because my class starts at 7am. 7am! And Kiwi kids can speak English......really well. They can say mean things. Today as I walked around the chapel and hunted kids down to introduce myself all of them were taller than me - and I was wearing high high heels! I am starting to get really excited though. It is a fantastic way to ensure that I study the gospel daily - and I loved seminary. A lot of gospel truths were solidified for me during my youth years - and I am excited to be part of that with others. So, it should be an interesting year for me.

I am also doing double duty church. Matile and Rob and their kids attend the Samoan Ward, so I attend with them and volunteer in Primary. Today I ran sharing time - it was fun. But to keep them in line I wrote their names on the board and gave them X's if they talked without raising their hand - classic Taiwan teacher reflex.

Overall, it is good to be home. I am adjusting remarkably well. I am happy to be here. Though I am missing hearing Chinese spoken everywhere, Jona, Lie Chie dumplings and my scooter............

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte Rose said...

What an experience Leah. Hey I like your blog, I have added you to mine. Good Times. I am looking forward to some more stories of the days to come in New Zealand. even now I still miss Taiwan.

Monday, January 29, 2007  
Blogger kiwintaiwan said...

great to see you FINALLY back.
Hugs from us all
Steve , Rhonda , Josh and Jesse

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure to keep your heart young. Don't be too discouraged. i miss the same things, maybe not jona though as much. You know because he is not my brother.
Laurelin

Sunday, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh looky looky, is church eating up your spare time again? wahahahahahahahah
I guess this isnt so anonymous :)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home