Saturday, November 11, 2006

My Older Kids....


The students I have most connected with in Taiwan have been my high school students. I have loved being with them and around them. The hope that they have for the future and their optimism at the world, despite all the pressures and challenges they face as students has been inspiring.


So, throughout my time here I have worked with students at various different high schools teaching drama, reading and reading comprehension, ran English clubs and had conversation classes.

The rules of teaching aren't the same as they are at home, so I have felt ok with seeing some of my favorite students outside of class. As a result, numerous kids have learnt how to make a chocolate cake, eaten and made my mum's custard and peach pie, eaten Maggi Indian meals, and gone to foreign restaurants in Taiwan with a foreigner.(they were really excited by that!)


They have kept me young! I owe my extensive knowledge of Taiwanese pop music, movies and local famous celebrities due to my interactions with them. I have laughed, cried, listened, taught and been taught so many life lessons from them - that I feel truly enriched and blessed!




I wish I could take them all home so that they could experience a different culture and a relaxed and slow paced lifestyle where kids are allowed to be kids.


To my students - thank you so much and I love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home